This is the best green smoothie recipe for an upset stomach! It's not only good for an upset tummy, it also tastes delicious. Many are afraid of drinking a green smoothie, expecting a bad experience. I'm here to tell you that green smoothies can actually be really yummy!
There are many reasons why we get an upset stomach, but what better way to cure an upset tummy than with this perfect green smoothie recipe!
Best Green Smoothie Recipe
This green smoothie recipe is as easy as any other smoothie recipes. You blend the ingredients together. If you feel that the smoothie gets too thick, you add more liquid, and if it's too thin, you add more veggies or fruit.
It is best to blend the leafy green (spinach in this case) along with the liquid first. This way we make sure that there's no yucky spinach blobs in your smoothie. Whenever this is all smooth, go ahead and add in your other fruits and vegetables. I like to taste before pouring into glasses in case I'd like to make any adjustments.
To make it a green smoothie bowl instead, just add less liquid. Add just enough liquid for your smoothie to blend nicely. This will depend a little on your blender. I also like to add 2 tablespoon of almond flour to give it a nice body. A smoothie bowl is literally just a thick smoothie that you can eat with a spoon instead of drinking it with a straw. It's delicious and can feel more filling than a regular smoothie.
What Ingredients are Good for an Upset Stomach
To make this green smoothie best for an upset stomach, here's a list of ingredients that are good for just that:
- Bananas - easily digestible, great source for potassium, rich in pectin. All good for upset tummies without getting into the gritty details.
- Ginger - we've all heard ginger is fantastic for nausea, it's also immune boosting
- Cucumber - when we're sick (which we often are when we have upset stomachs), dehydration is a bigger problem. Adding cucumber is a great way of hydrating your green smoothie / body.
- Coconut Water - very hydrating and high in potassium and magnesium. ALSO DELICIOUS.
- Mint - the menthol in mint can help with the muscle spasms, gas relieving. Yeah, you get it.
- Natural Yoghurt - help restoring the balance in your stomach with good bacteria. If you want it vegan or just lactose free, you can always just skip the yoghurt.
- Pineapple juice - breaks down protein faster, helps with digestion, reducing bloating
- Mango - highest amount of dietary fiber, awesome for digestion
- Fennel - can help relaxing the gastrointestinal (GI) tract and aid digestion. BE AWARE, that fennel tastes super strong of licorice. It will alter the smoothie, so this is a completely optional step. However, if you're stomach is really upset, I'm highly recommending adding a small pinch to the smoothie.
- Papaya - rich in proteolytic enzymes, which can help the digestive process. I am honestly not a fan of the taste of papaya, so I'm skipping it. But feel free to swap mango with papaya!
- Oats - some good-for-you slow-releasing carbs. I decided I didn't want oats in this particular smoothie, as it gets a little heavier. If you want more of a meal out of this delicious green smoothie recipe, I would add ¼ cup of old-fashioned oats into the blender along with the fruit.
How to Get a Green Smoothie to Taste Good
LEMON. Okay, there, I said it. Adding lemon, or lime helps enhance the flavor A TON. The acid in the citrus help balances out the rest of the ingredients. Without adding such ingredients as lemon or lime, whatever you're making can feel very meh and bland.
Just a little splash of citrus can make the whole difference.
That is also why I have lemon juice in my easy rosemary sun-dried tomato pasta, and lime in my super delicious guacamole, I also had lime in my sweet and spicy hot orange drink, because it felt a little meh without it and BAM SO GOOD with lime. The acid in a tart green apple such as a Granny Smith can also help.
What's important to note about acid in general, is that it's not all that good for your tummy when it's in larger quantities. Small quantities, however, can actually help with your digestion and can naturally heal an upset stomach. That is why it's just a small amount in this green smoothie recipe.
The Best Green Smoothie Recipes
There are tons of green smoothie recipes out there. I've here compiled a list of other green smoothies that are super tasteful and next on my extensive food bucket list!
- Green Grape Smoothie for Energy
- Morning Green Smoothie from Real and Vibrant
- Cucumber Ginger Lemon Detox Juice from Orchids and Sweet Tea
- Green Tahini Power Smoothie from Sugary and Buttery
- Broccoli Smoothie from Your Veg Recipe
There's tons of ways to customize your smoothies. It's usually a blend of whatever you have in your vegetable drawer and fruit bowl on that particular day. I really hope you will enjoy this green smoothie as much as I do. I'm honestly just about to go out the door and get myself some more spinach so I can make another batch asap!
Other Ways to Enjoy Your Fruits:
- Tropical Mango Pineapple Smoothie
- Baked Grapefruit (3 delicious recipes!)
- Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint
- Easy Delicious Blackberry Syrup
- Homemade Luscious Lemon Curd
- Cucumber Pomegranate Vodka Lemonade
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
In order to keep the blog up and running this post may contain affiliate links, it will be at no extra cost to you, please read the disclosure for more information.