Mexican Fried Rice with a subtle sweet and smoky flavor of chipotle and the beautiful color of turmeric, gives the ultimate quick and easy lunch or side dish! Using leftover rice, makes this a delicious one-pot meal that requires minimal work!
Most of my recipes come to life from two reasons. 1: I’ve got the ingredients, and 2: I’m craving a particular cuisine. And this one is no different. I was craving chipotle in general, and had cooked rice from the day before. Could it be combined somehow? And oh boy, do I have the answer for you.
(And yes, the answer is yes, if you didn’t get that).
Mexican Fried Rice Recipe
Mix eggs with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper. In a skillet on medium high heat, pour the eggs into the pan with a little oil. Make scrambled eggs by folding the eggs with a spatula. Read this post on chives and cheese scrambled eggs if you want a more thorough explanation of scrambled eggs. Set aside.
In the same pan, fry carrot matchsticks, onion and bell pepper with chipotle paste and the rest of the spices. Fry for a couple of minutes, until vegetables reach your desired softness. I like to cook them for about 5 minutes. Add in rice and frozen peas*. Give it a good mix and then add in eggs. Pour over soy sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
* Note on the peas: I think using frozen peas are much better than fresh. This is because they retain their firmness and don’t get mushy like fresh peas. If you use fresh or canned peas I wouldn’t heat them at all.
I like to serve this with avocado and a dollop of sour cream. Adding some crunchy tortilla chips and shredded Mexican cheese are also high on my list! So this is a vegetarian fried rice recipe that is light enough for a lunch or as a side dish, but you may also add more toppings and protein such as chicken or pork or chickpeas for more body. I’d also love to use this fried rice in my stuffed bell peppers (see recipe below)!
How to Meal Prep Fried Rice
This Mexican rice is also perfect as a meal prep option. Just make it ahead, maybe even double the recipe to have on hand several days. Portion it out in microwave safe bowls and refrigerate. It could be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
To reheat, microwave on medium-high for 2 minutes or until steaming. You could also heat it in a pan, if you don’t mind the extra clean-up!
Leftover Fried Rice Recipes
I’ve also compiled a list of other delicious fried rice recipes. It’s just the ultimate comfort food that is easily customizable and quick to assemble.
- Chinese Sesame Fried Rice – one of my all time favorite rice recipes!
- Rice and Beans Stuffed Bell Peppers – not using leftover rice, but it’s really easy make anyway.
- Japanese Fried Rice from Pickled Plum
- Pineapple Fried Rice from Healthy Nibbles
- Chinese Sausage Fried Rice from The Woks of Life
- Classic Pork Fried Rice from Butter Your Biscuit
Fried rice is really about making something easy and delicious out of your leftovers. If you have onion, but not green onion, go ahead and use onion instead. If you don’t have carrots, use the bell pepper laying at the bottom of your veggie drawer. Mix and match and taste as you go and you will make a killer rice recipe! They can be vegetarian, pork or chicken fried rice, even tofu or chickpeas can add more body to your rice, making it a full dinner as well.
Meanwhile, I’ll be munching on my Mexican fried rice filled with chipotle and turmeric. Dolloping that sour cream and topping with creamy avocados. You can’t go wrong! It’s a quick and easy lunch that I love and hope you will too!
Other Quick Lunch Ideas
- Chives and Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- Chinese Sesame Fried Rice
- Summer Strawberry Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Date Caramel Macchiato Breakfast Quinoa
- Serrano Ham and Mozzarella Pita Pizzas < store bought pitas
- Skinny Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
I’d love to hear your thoughts. Comment below or tag me @thegingerwithspice on Instagram. And don’t forget to Pin it for later!
In order to keep the blog up and running this post may contain affiliate links, it will be at no extra cost to you, please read the disclosure for more information.
Mexican Fried Rice with Chipotle and Turmeric
- 2 eggs
- 1 carrot cut into matchsticks
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper 50g. semi finely chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas 75g
- 2 cups leftover cold cooked rice 500ml
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder divided
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste, I used 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/2 tsp salt
- Make scrambled eggs: Mix eggs with 1/2 tsp garlic powder, salt and pepper. In a skillet on medium high heat, pour the eggs into the pan with a little oil. Make scrambled eggs by folding the eggs with a spatula, and set aside.
- Fry the rest: In the same pan fry carrot matchsticks, onion and bell pepper with chipotle paste and the rest of the spices. Fry for a couple of minutes, until vegetables reach your desired softness. I like to cook them for about 5 minutes. Add in rice and frozen peas*. Give it a good mix and then add in eggs. Pour over soy sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve: I like to serve this with avocado and a dollop of sour cream. Adding some crunchy tortilla chips and shredded Mexican cheese are also high on my list!